Being Human festival 2022: call for applications (grants available!)
Type of posting: Call for applications, Funding
Title: Being Human festival 2022
About: Being Human is the UK’s national festival of the humanities. A celebration of humanities research through public engagement, it is led by the School of Advanced Study at the University of London, with generous support from Research England, in partnership with the Arts and Humanities Research Council and the British Academy. The 2022 festival will take place 10-19 November with the theme ‘Breakthroughs’.
Being Human festival believes that the humanities help us understand what it means to be human; and that new ideas in this area – from archaeology, art history, philosophy, languages, literature, history, classics, cultural studies, music, theatre and theology – should be open to everyone.
The festival seeks applications for creative and innovative public engagement events celebrating and showcasing the latest humanities research and aimed at public audiences without existing relationships to universities/ research organisations.
Staff and researchers at universities, research organisations and cultural organisations are all eligible to apply (please see the Being Human website for full eligibility criteria).
Why take part?
There are lots of reasons to take part, but some of the most popular include:
- Develop new public engagement skills
- Help with career development
- Engage with new audiences and get new perspectives on research
- Get a project up and running
- Try out new public engagement ideas
- Raise the profile of your research
- Co-produce public engagement
- Establish/ develop relationships with community and cultural partners and multidisciplinary collaborations
All participants will be invited to free public engagement training and will receive guidance in developing their activities from the Being Human team. Find out more about what support is available on the Being Human website.
There are four different ways to take part in the festival:
- Small Awards: apply for funding of up to £2,000 to enable activities. (Deadline: Friday 29 April)
- Hub Awards: apply for a larger institutional grant of £2,000- £5,000 to coordinate multiple activities as a Festival Hub. (Deadline: Friday 29 April)
- Open Call: organise an activity that does not require funding. (Deadline: Friday 24 June)
- Being Human Café: a simple ‘off-the-shelf’ format (Deadline: Friday 26 August)
Find out more about how to apply: https://beinghumanfestival.org/get-involved/