GALLERY ASSISTANT for MAYFAIR POST-WAR and CONTEMPORARY ART GALLERY
The Gallery Assistant is a vital part of the team at Cardi. This role is ideal for someone interested in engaging with all facets of running an art gallery. The successful candidate will have the ability to work in a high-pressured international environment, always maintain a calm and professional demeanour, and take initiative. The role reports to the Gallery Manager and works closely with the Senior Director.
- As the face of the gallery, welcoming visitors and handling phone enquiries
Administrative Support & Personal Assistance
- Arranging FedEx and couriers
- Managing gallery mail
- Catalogue and client mail-outs
- Personal Assistance to the Senior Director and Gallery Manager as required
- Assistance on admin tasks such as filing expenses, etc.
- Further ad hoc administration duties as required.
Gallery Database: Updates and Research
- Updating the database (ArtLogic) for artwork and client database management
- Researching and adding provenance and exhibition history to artworks, producing original copy on artworks for client presentations
- Researching and updating artist biographies, bibliographies, press articles on exhibitions, etc.
- Researching collections
- Researching Auction history
- Cataloguing images
- Preparing client presentation in liaison with the Senior Director
- Assist the Gallery Manager with producing artworks Condition Checks
- Assist the Gallery Manager with organizing artwork installs, packing and shipments
- Handling artworks and occasionally assisting with hanging
- Liaising with contracted art handlers and transport agents
- Assist the Gallery Manager with supervising photographers on site
- Process and resize installation views and single shots for gallery database
- Create artworks’ scale images
- Assisting with the setup and organisation of private views (attendance to all private views is required) and other gallery events as required
The successful candidate will have:
– BA in Visual Art or related field, MA preferred
– Previous experience working in a commercial art gallery
– Excellent research skills
– Excellent written and oral communication, preferably multilingual. Native or native-like English level plus good knowledge of Italian are necessary, any further languages are advantageous
– A professional and personable nature, a team-player attitude, and the ability to work in a small tight-knit team
– A curious, proactive, adaptable and hands-on attitude with exceptional attention to detail
– A knowledge and enthusiasm for post-war and contemporary art, specialist knowledge of the gallery artists advantageous
– Some knowledge of the post-war and contemporary art market
– Exceptional customer service skills
– Good administration skills
– Good IT skills using Mac, with excellent proficiency in using the Office Suite, and good knowledge of the Adobe Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator)
– Familiarity with the ArtLogic platform
– Familiarity with social media (Instagram, Twitter, Discord)
– Superior organisational skills with the ability to handle multiple priorities at once
– Familiarity with art handling, packing and installation
– Good photography skills (desirable)
– Current right to work in the UK (a current valid visa, settled status or pre-settled status)
This is a full-time position based at Cardi Gallery in Mayfair, working mostly Tuesday – Saturday and occasionally Monday-Friday. Salary TBC, depending on experience (19,000 – 25,000)
To Apply: Please send a cover letter (1 A4 max) outlining your reasons for applying and your suitability for this role, alongside your CV (2 A4 max) to the Gallery Manager, Elisa Tosoni at email@example.com with ‘Gallery Assistant’ in the subject line.
Application deadline: 9 am BST, Jun 13th, 2022. Any application received after the deadline will not be considered. We encourage early applications as we expect to begin shortlisting candidates and arranging first-round interviews prior to the closing deadline.
Interviews will be held in person at the gallery.
Preferred start date: flexible, asap (between mid-June and early July)