Lecturer: Art History and Discourse of Art
The Michaelis School of Fine Art is internationally recognised as one of Africa’s foremost institutions for the study of fine and history of art. The School seeks to appoint a new member of staff to assume teaching and research in Art History and Discourse of Art. The appointment will commence on 1 July 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Candidates with an academic background and research experience in art history and visual culture, as well as other cognate disciplines, are invited to apply for this position. We seek to appoint a lecturer who will be part of the Art History and Discourse of Art section’s drive towards transformation, research and curriculum renewal.
Successful candidates will be responsible for teaching undergraduate courses in the BA and Bachelors of Art in Fine Art(BAFA) programme and supervising postgraduate research.
Candidates must have a research track record, and teaching and administrative experience appropriate to the rank of Lecturer.
Information on the teaching and research activities of the School may be found on the website: www.michaelis.uct.ac.za.
• A PhD in Art History or other cognate discipline, or close to completion
• Teaching and research experience appropriate to the rank of lecturer
• Evidence of emerging research trajectory in the form of publications or other outputs
• Convening and teaching in the undergraduate programme;
• Postgraduate supervision;
• Departmental administrative responsibilities as appropriate;
• Contribution to the public profile of the School;
• Development of independent research programmes.
The annual cost of employment including benefits at Lecturer level is R730 510.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org
– UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
– Cover letter
– Curriculum Vitae (CV), and
– A writing sample
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the interview and will be required to make a presentation.
Telephone: 021 650 2163 Website: www.humanities.uct.ac.za
Reference number: E210152 Closing date: 05 April 2021
“UCT is a designated employer and is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets in accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets. Preference will be given to candidates from the under-represented designated groups. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at www.hr.uct.ac.za/hr/policies/employ_equity”.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.