Terra Foundation for American Art International Essay Prize
- Type of posting: Call for Submissions
- Title: Terra Foundation for American Art International Essay Prize
- Summary of event/opportunity/news: Terra Foundation for American Art International Essay Prize: American Art invites scholars who are non-U.S. citizens to submit essays on pre-1980 American art history.
- Details, including date, time and location:
The Terra Foundation for American Art International Essay Prize recognizes excellent scholarship by a non-U.S. citizen working in the field of historical American art. Manuscripts should advance the understanding of American art by demonstrating new findings and original perspectives. The prize winner will be given the opportunity to work toward publication in American Art, the peer-reviewed journal co-published by the Smithsonian American Art Museum and the University of Chicago Press. The winner will receive a $1,000 cash award and a travel stipend of up to $3,500 to give a presentation in Washington, D.C., and meet with museum staff and research fellows.
Eligibility requirements: Authors must be non-U.S. citizens who have achieved doctoral candidacy or completed a doctoral degree (or the equivalent), and have not previously had a manuscript accepted for publication in American Art. Essays may focus on any aspect of historical (pre-1980) American art and visual culture; however, architecture and film studies are not eligible. Essays may be submitted in any language; abstracts must be submitted in English.
Submissions for the 2019 prize must be sent to TerraEssayPrize@si.edu by January 15, 2019. For information on the prize, available in English, French, Spanish, German, and Italian, please consult AmericanArt.si.edu/research/awards/terra.
- URL or webpage link: si.edu/research/awards/terra
- Contact details for further information: TerraEssayPrize@si.edu
- Deadline for booking, submission, application etc: January 15, 2019